Lime in the Coconut Soap
(Amounts are by weight unless noted)
- 15 oz. Coconut oil
- 8 oz. Jojoba oil
- 25 oz. Sunflower oil
- 5 oz. Palm oil
- 2 oz. Palm Stearic acid (or other vegetable derived stearic acid)
- 6 oz. Shea Butter
- 8 oz. Lye
- 20 oz. Distilled water
- 1 ½ oz. (volume) Lime essential oil
- ½ oz. (volume) Spearmint essential oil
- ½ oz. (volume) Coconut Lime verbena fragrance oil
- Eye protection (essential)
- Rubber glove (essential)
- Wooden spoon
- Mixing bowl
- Electric hand blender (optional)
- Drying rack
- Soap molds
- Freezer paper to cover the molds during initial curing
- Vinegar (helps with Lye cleanup; neutralized the lye)
- Put on eye protection, rubber gloves, and apron
- Gather all your supplies and ingredients
- Carefully add Lye to Water, mix, and set safely aside.
- Combine oils until well mixed. Warm if not in liquid form.
- Combine Water-Lye solution and oil mixture. Warm to 110 - 120 degrees F.
- Mix for 2-3 minutes then allow the mixture to rest for 5 minutes; mix again. Continue with more mix and rest cycles until trace occurs.
- After Trace forms, add fragrance and essential oils.
- Pour into molds at medium to heavy trace
- Cover molds with Freezer paper to and let set for 48 hours
- Pop out of molds and cut as necessary
- Cure for 2-3 weeks on a drying rack
Click here to read or post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Handmade Soap Recipes.